Job Vacancy: “Secretary to Ambassador, Deputy Head of Mission. Residence Manager”.
British Embassy, Damascus
Foreign and Common Wealth Office, FCO.
Are you an experienced administrative officer, an innovative, energetic, self-starter?
If so, we are looking for a Secretary and Residence Social Manager to join our busy and dynamic Embassy Team at a time of rapid change. The successful candidate will be responsible for consolidating and delivering effective secretarial duties to the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission in our head office in Damascus.
Net salary range between SYP 48,000 – SYP 53,200 based on experience and merit.
The British Embassy in Damascus is part of a world-wide network (the FCO) consisting of 230 Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. Our office in Damascus is responsible for delivering excellent diplomatic and corporate services to 44 members of staff and to Syrian and UK citizens in general.
The Secretary will report to the Chief of Staff to the Ambassador and Deputy Head of Mission and will serve as a key member of the embassy team, managing both diaries, providing support to the Chancery team, lead and running the Residence social programme and carrying out general administrative tasks.
• Delivering high quality secretarial duties to the Ambassador, DHM and the Chancery team, including fast accurate typing, faxing and photocopying.
• Responsible for the Ambassador and DHM’s programme and diary.
• Responsible for the Residence social operation and leading on social activities. Sending out invitations and chasing up RSVPs. Management of 2 Residence Imprests.
• Lead Residence Team including line management of the Butler and Maid.
• Covering for the Chief of Staff in the Chancery office when needed.
• Running miscellaneous administrative tasks.
• Translation of English and Arabic both oral and written communication.
• Maintain up-to-date inventories of Residence furniture, china, silver and official stocks.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
• A university level degree in management or equivalent experience is preferred;
• Proven (via previous appraisals & track records), industry-standard administrative and management skills
• Fluent in English, orally and in writing, required; additional fluency in Arabic is strongly preferred.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a strong customer focus.
• Flexible, resilient under pressure and decisive with a proven track record of delivering results to a high standard within tight deadlines.
• The successful candidate will be subject to confirmation of a background and security clearance. You must have pre-existing work authorisation for Syria in order to apply.
We encourage applications from suitably qualified people from any background. The British Embassy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on grounds of ethnic origin, race, religious beliefs, age, disability, gender or sexual orientation.
Please visit our website on www.ukinsyria.fco.gov.uk for further details.
Send your completed CV/resume with a 300 words covering letter expressing your interest in the job no later than 13 August 2011 to the following email address: Jobvacancydamascus@fco.gov.uk
The deadline for receiving applications is Thursday 13 August 2011
Interviews will be held between 19 and 23 August 2011.
Telephone interview is available for candidates who are not currently in Syria.
It is planned that the successful candidate would start work ASAP. For candidates not yet in Syria, it may be possible to negotiate a later start date in agreement with the line manager.
Only those candidates who are successful in the initial sift of applications will be contacted and invited to attend an interview.